Local sightingsReturn to the list of reports
- a Barn Owl was on a hedgerow north of Frost Hill pre-dawn.
- an immature Woodpigeon was visiting Woodlands gardens to feed. Another obvious frost today.
- a Red Kite was over fields south of The Harrow Way mid-afternoon.
- a Black-headed Gull was seen to visit gardens, not quiet their expected habitat! Three Canada Geese moved low east over Town Meadow. And yet more frost!
- a maximum of -7½°C was recorded pre-dawn!
- Robin continued to sing prior to dawn, a hint of Christmas perhaps?
- a partially albinistic Blackbird continued to visit Woodlands gardens, as did a Coal Tit. A Red Kite was circling over the village mid-morning.
- a Barn Owl was on a roadside post just north of the village early morning.
- a Water Rail was heard at Flashetts.
- a further partially albinistic Blackbird, a female this time, visited Woodlands gardens.
- a Red Kite was over fields at Southington early aftertnoon. The 'pied' male Blackbird reappeared in Woodlands gardens. A Treecreeper was vocal in trees off Southington Close, a Nuthatch at Dellands Lane where a Lesser Redpoll moved over early afternoon. Candle Snuff fungus was found in Dellands Lane hedgerows.
- a Kestrel was near Frost Hill Farm late afternoon.
- a Kestrel was again near Frost Hill Farm mid- / late afternoon, as were both Red Kite and Buzzard.
Contributors: Alison Hutchins & Peter E. Hutchins.